Tonsil Boy

Hi Everyone, So many people, so many things happening in mine and my family's lives. This is to help keep everyone updated on my journey through tonsil cancer. Please excuse poor grammer and spelling. (Weasle has already corrected my grammer twice).Please pass along this site to our friends. Click on "COMMENTS" to read them or to leave a comment.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Sunday Update

Good morning, afternoon or evening, depending as to the time you logged on. I am starting to get my voice back!!!! I can talk for a few minutes at a time and then my throat gets sore. Also, during the past couple of days I have begun my learning to swallow process. Basically, I am starting with liquids. I am doing 3 tiny swallows at a time. I find a lot of things burn my mouth including coke and Captain Mo, together or separate, they don't work. Everything seems to taste funny or weird. Weasle laughs, but I have a hankering for chick pea juice. That's the juice chick peas come in. Sounds strange but maybe my body is trying to tell me somthing? I am going to try some today.

People want to know about my eating, or rather my not eating, so here are some answers. No, I don't get hungry. I'm taking in 6 cans of tube feeding per day and I guess that fills me up. When I watch other people eating, I am envious and can't wait till I can eat again. Foods are smelling good to me again. I have lost 36 pounds on this cancer diet, which I wouldn't reccomend to anyone. Prior to the cancer diet I had lost 16 pounds on the Adkins Diet. The Adkins Diet was stongly recommended to me by Leslie Dupree at Bittersfest 2003. I guess she thought I was fat. So total weight in 2.5 years is 52 pounds. I am now wearing a size 36 pants and a size large shirt. I am borrowing shirts from my son, Michael.

As always thanks for your support, prayers and comments.
Randy

10 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randy,

It was so good to hear your voice on the conference call with Joe C. on his big day. What a great surprise to all of us. Even better to hear your laughter!!!

When you mentioned the 3 sips of water, one can only wonder how parched you must feel. If chick pea juice does the trick, I can only imagine mixing that with the Captain!
When do we get to see you in those size 36's and the L?
Post more pics!

Thinking of you. Lots of love to the family...
Joan

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you speak up, i can't hear you. As Spicoli said, "I can't hear you unless you knock." (i don't know the significance of that right now, it's just Fast Times at Ridgemont High is a classic.)

i thought chick pea juice was when a baby chicken pees in the shell before hatching. that's gross. hahahahahah.

it's good you still have a sense of humor on the road to recovery from hell.

Alan

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy - you're sounding good, my friend. Please do not loose so much weight that you start borrowing shirts from Weasle...then we really start to worry about you!
Have a great week as you continue to improve.

Chris

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you....

you da man

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy,
Chick pea juice?!?!?! Have you ever tasted chickpea juice? And, if so, why? Are you sure you aren't pregnant?

I haven't visited your site since before the holidays....sorry for that...but how wonderful to hear you are recovering so quickly. Size 36. That is impressive. Doug thinks he still wears a 36 but he needs an elastic waistline for that to work.

Matt went back to school yesterday. He won't be back home again until June 15. Doug and I will go out a couple times to visit. He loves it out there, of course, what's not to like. Sounds like all the boys are happy with their colleges.

Tell Weasle I will get back into the soup business soon. How does chicken broth sound to you?

Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Barb H

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,
That's good news that you are beginning to talk and swallow. Those prayers and your hard work are paying off! Let us know when you are ready for a little Texas Hold-em. We played on New Year's with another couple and I must say...it wasn't the same. No forgetting to ante or "fitty cents". We have been thinking about all of you and are happy to hear that things are making a turn in the right direction. It's only a matter of time before you will be feeling better. Maybe we can make some mojitos (I think Weasle liked them)- but if they taste like chick pea juice you can have the whole pitcher!!! Please take care!!!

Love,
Joe & Becky

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'd rather drink warm Natty Bo than chick pea juice. Please re-think the chick pea thing, Randy.

Glad you're moving in the right direction.

LG

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey LG,
you have no taste....know what i'm say'n?

Alan

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy,
I'm a friend of the Reilly's from way back - a grade school buddy of Sheila's. We met many years ago - I think traveling to Minnesota for Sheila/Steve's wedding.
My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through the recovery process. It sounds like the love and prayers of family and friends, good medical care, and your inner strength and sense of humor are pulling you through this ordeal.
Here's to continued improvement and good health in 2006!
Take care. Mary (Hinke)

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

look
up in the sky...
it's a bird
it's a plane
no
it's sveltboy
(formerly known as tonsilboy)
stay away from the chick pea juice
it has to be worse than kryptonite

 

Post a Comment

<< Home