Tonsil Boy

Hi Everyone, So many people, so many things happening in mine and my family's lives. This is to help keep everyone updated on my journey through tonsil cancer. Please excuse poor grammer and spelling. (Weasle has already corrected my grammer twice).Please pass along this site to our friends. Click on "COMMENTS" to read them or to leave a comment.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Had my Esophagus stretched

I just got back from my surgery and am feeling pretty good. That is what a couple of percocets can do. Even with the pain pills my throat is very sore. They had me swallowing apple juice after I woke up and I could take larger sips with less effort. Last week I finished a full beer!! It took 3 hours. My goal is less than 2 hours and should be easily accomplished now with the new procedure.

The procedure went as follows:
The Doctor sprayed a numbing agent in my mouth and throat and then I was placed under general anesthesia. Various diameter rubber hoses were then placed (shoved) down my esophagus. Starting with a small diameter (less than 1/8 inch) and working their way up to a large diameter (somewhere around 7/8 inch). When I walked into the operating room, I saw on the table about 2 dozen of these rubber tubes. At the end of this torture, an incision was made over the old one to remove the port-a-cath in my shoulder. After removing the port-a-cath and stitching me up, I was awakened and placed in recovery. Both procedures took a total of an hour. I arrived at the hospital at 10 AM and was home by 3 PM.

Thank you all for your support, comments and prayers

Randy the Cancer Free man

10 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Randy,
You've been on my mind. I'm so glad to hear you keep moving forward. And how wonderful to hear that your progress is measured in alcohol intake. Way too funy. Keep up the good work. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily.
With love,
Carli

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can smell a steak sizzlin' on the grill. I'll bring the A-1!!

So happy to hear things are getting a little easier.

Love you, Kim

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Derek Erb said...

Randy,

Congratulations on getting through the surgery. It sounds like a major improvement.

For those of us who are morbidly curious could you give us some more details as to what they did? Was it general or local anesthesia? How long did it take? Could you leave the hospital immediately?

The surgery sounds very interesting. I am very glad it worked for you and that you are improving regularly.

Keep it up!

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2-3 hours per beer, sounds as if you must be saving a ton of money given your alcohol intake.....we are glad to hear you continue to improve.....you should be good to go by the time your annual Sea Isle vaction rolls around....the Healy's

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,

You have given new meaning to the following:
Cancer is so limited ...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot destroy peace.
It cannot kill friendships.
It cannot suppress memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot invade the soul.
It cannot steal eternal life.
It cannot conquer the Spirit

Hang in there, you have our prayers.
Love, Murl & Lois

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger papanuzz said...

hey bro-in-law,

Does this mean you're gonna be wanting your BIGBOY clothes back anytime soon?

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did they do anything for your gag reflex?

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn, why didn't you just ask them to whip you with the hoses while they were at it.

what you should be drinking is guiness beer, it does not have to be cold to drink and you can nurse it along at your leisure.

alan

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One beer in two hours, remind me not to pick you for the next "Beer Pong" tournament.
Great news all around.

From the newly employeed man from Virigina

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear TB,
The Davies and I have decided it is time for an event. Are you thinking what I am thinkin? Just think how long that party will last with you guzzling a beer every 3 hours..I can't wait...

I admit, the stretching does not sound like a good time, but if it works!
Thinking of all of you.
Love ya TB.

jw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home