Tonsil Boy

Hi Everyone, So many people, so many things happening in mine and my family's lives. This is to help keep everyone updated on my journey through tonsil cancer. Please excuse poor grammer and spelling. (Weasle has already corrected my grammer twice).Please pass along this site to our friends. Click on "COMMENTS" to read them or to leave a comment.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Saw the Surgeon this week

I saw the surgeon this week and he said that the ulcers in my mouth are healing well. I have to agree with him. My mouth is not as swollen. The extra mucous in my mouth is caused by the ulcers and since they are healing I don’t have to spit as often. I am sleeping for a longer period of time (1 1/2 - 2 hours) because of this. The surgeon also says that I can’t have the PET scan done until the ulcers are healed which is about one month's time. Same goes for the surgical removal of the “port” in my shoulder. The port was placed under my skin for the Chemo to be plugged into. The healing process seems to moving along. I know I feel better this week than last.
Weasle and I did go baby food shopping. We had fun but she was complaining I was buying too many jars. Probably about $6 worth, while she was spending $200 on the rest of the family. My first dollars in food in the last 3 to 4 months and she is holding MY food budget down. The baby foods I've tried so far have burned my tongue or mouth. I am able to swallow very small amounts of water and noodle soup.
Derek Erb is living in France and is going through tonsil cancer also. His was not found as soon as mine and has had to go through several surgeries besides the radiation and chemo. He began about the same time as I did with this process. You can find his blog @ http://derekparis.blogspot.com/ . I wish him all the best and a very speedy recovery.
Thank you all for your support, prayers and comments.
Love to all
Randy

11 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can get you enrolled to get food stamps & some free gov't cheese...

beat it

(hmmmmm, how bout "WHIP IT GOOD" instead???)

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy - Do you like Egg Drop Soup? If so, that may be easy to swallow and healthy for you.
Alex always said baby food prunes were the best - I guess we brainwashed him - poor kid. We're thinking of you!
Love,
Susan, Steve, Brad and Alex

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Derek Erb said...

Randy thank you for your kind words and wishes. In my opinion the baby food probably stings because of sugar and salt. I found that the blander the food the better. I already mentioned oatmeal. I would add scrambled eggs. Certain plain yogurts go down well. Those without much sugar. S,S,B&A's advice of Egg Drop Soup is excellent. I found that went down really well as did Japanese chicken and tofu soup. My wife now cooks pretty much without salt, pepper, lemon and vinegar. The family adds that to their food at table.

BTW I still have my port in my chest as well. They probably will not take it out for a few more months until they are entirely sure that I will not need chemo again sometime soon...

All my best wishes and positive thoughts for your steady and complete recovery.

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy,
I'm a friend of Derek's in Paris. I've been following his progress over the past few difficult months and know that finding your blog has helped him feel less isolated. With my best wishes to you for a full and speedy recovery.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,
I am so glad you are doing much better.I will treat you to that polish sausage with the works as soon as you are able .
MR Mike

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger papanuzz said...

hey Randy...does your wife know my wife?...$100 haircuts for her and her daughters...all this beauty product crap...maybe I should set up a weBLOG...with this cancer stuff behind us, maybe the guys should all get together, and spend some money doing MANLY things...

when you figure out what bland things you can eat, let us know. we'd love to have you over for a bland meal...keep up the good work.

Ken

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

try the plain venison jerky instead of the cajun...dipped in smashed peas and banana baby food...doesn't get much better than that. peace-out from nj

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Derek Erb said...

Hi Randy,

Another suggestion for food which burns the mouth and the sores. I found that if I had a glass of warm water handy and I had a drink of water as soon as the food starting burning it would dilute the food and stop the burning. Our problem is that we're not producing saliva that our mouth normally uses to dilute and disolve food. It's worth a try...

I too went through periods when I couldn't eat anything. During those moments I would drink a product called Réuntryl here in France which is the same stuff they put in the food tubes here. Trust me you're not missing out on any great gastronomic experience.

Soups are a great start and soups with things in them (egg drop and then noodles and then minestrone, ...) is a great progression.

All I can say is I'm rooting for you and I know you'll get through this stage, as you've gotten through all the others, and things do get better.

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,

You don't know me but I am friends with your friend Rhonda on myspace. I thought I would drop a line and say 'kick the shit out of this cancer' .... sending you courage, strength and hope all the way across the pond from London

Katie

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TB,
I've been remiss in checking out your site.....glad to see that there is happy news to read. Just one question: did you purchase a bib and do you sit in a high chair while being fed your baby food?
I know its been awhile but does the plane in the hangar thing still work on you?

Loveya,
Hunt Valley Jackson

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Randy and Weasle - we're thinking about you and praying for you.

We love you
Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home