Tonsil Boy

Hi Everyone, So many people, so many things happening in mine and my family's lives. This is to help keep everyone updated on my journey through tonsil cancer. Please excuse poor grammer and spelling. (Weasle has already corrected my grammer twice).Please pass along this site to our friends. Click on "COMMENTS" to read them or to leave a comment.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Swallowing Update

I went to have a barium swallow test yesterday, Wednesday. The doctors wanted to see why I could only swallow liquids and choked on small solids. The barium swallow test shows as an x-ray how my swallowing muscles work. They can watch the barium flow from my mouth to the stomach. The test showed that my esophagus is constricted in one spot. This was caused by the radiation treatments. I am scheduled for surgery to repair this on April 21 in the morning. At the same time, they will be removing the port-a-cath that was placed under the skin for the chemo. To repair the esophagus, they place a tube down my throat and expand it to stretch the esophagus. This is good to know that I soon will be swallowing normal again!!

I am now able to swallow teaspoon size yogurt shakes known as “Danimals”. I am able to finish one 3 ounce bottle at each meal. My feeding tube is still where I get all my nourishment except for these Danimals. I have tasted lots of different foods lately: olive, brownie, tuna, pickle, potato salad, cracker and cereals. Little bits are taken and rinsed down with water. Some went down, some didn’t. But after the 21st, I should be doing much better.

I reached a milestone on Saturday. I opened my first beer since last October at Andy and Lisa’s wedding. I was able to drink half of the bottle. This took me 2 hours though, but it’s a start. My goal is being able to finish a whole one. It was a Coors lite.

My daughter, Ellen, wrote me a wonderful poem for my birthday. I placed it as the post below this one for your reading pleasure.

Thank you all for your prayers and support!

CANCER FREE TonsilBoy

4 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it actually sounds like weasel has her foot on your throat. it is a sign of being fed up with your antics.

so when you're told to "just choke it down..."

maybe i will go in for that procedure. maybe it will help me chug beer easier.

Alan

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,
This is Weasle's cousin in Buffalo. I just visited your website for the first time in a while and I was delighted to read that the March 20 test was good and that you are inching closer to a complete recovery. Best wishes!
Bill Collins

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you feel up to it, give me a call, I'll schedule a West Wing tour for you and yours (up to 6 people).

That was an amazing journey. Your trials and tribulations should make the "routine problems" of life seem so small and so silly. We are thrilled that you have persevered!

Your daughters poem is moving beyond words.

Best wishes, Lois and Murl Altoft

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wanted to write you a poem too...
but ellen took all of the good rhymes. thanks a lot. here's the best i got:
glad your throat will soon be good
then you'll eat some real good food
love and kisses from kesses

 

Post a Comment

<< Home