Tonsil Boy

Hi Everyone, So many people, so many things happening in mine and my family's lives. This is to help keep everyone updated on my journey through tonsil cancer. Please excuse poor grammer and spelling. (Weasle has already corrected my grammer twice).Please pass along this site to our friends. Click on "COMMENTS" to read them or to leave a comment.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Swallowing Well

Since I had my esophagus stretched, swallowing is getting back to normal. I take almost normal size bites and need to be careful when swallowing. Since my salavary glands were fried by the radiation, I need to add some sort of liquid while chewing to any solid food. Then I can swallow it. My throat is still sore and swollen due to the stretching and exercising caused by the swallowing of food. I am not able to consume enough calories by mouth alone to maintain my weight. I am still using the feeding tube. I cut back the # of cans of Ensure Plus that is poured in the tube depending on the amount of food I eat. I am finding it hard to find any foods that have any taste or good taste to me. One day eggs may taste OK and the next, they have no taste. All cereals taste like cardboard. Steak, ham and chicken taste like nothing. Maybe someone besides myself should be doing the cooking. I feel like a kid in a candy shop tasting everything I can find, looking for something to taste good. The doctors say my taste will eventually return but will never be the way it once was. The time frame is one to five years for taste. I have been able to finish a beer in 45 minutes. My new goal is 30 minutes. Its nice to have goals. I had my first Captain Morgan and diet coke! Didn’t taste too good. I suffered through it. When I was halfway done, it tasted good. The second was even better. I just needed to reorient my taste buds.

I got some sad and disturbing news on Wednesday. My Mom was just diagnosed with lung cancer. We have a meeting with the doctors on Tuesday to find out more info and the treatment. Please keep her in your prayers.

Thank you all for your support and prayers

Randy

5 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Randy - I understand a little about the taste. After my second sinus surgery, I couldn't taste anything at all. It has been several years and I can now taste only a few things but rarely. However, the good part is I can't smell either! I used to hate public restrooms but now I don't mind them at all!
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I'll keep her in my prayers and think about her often. Take care,
Susan B.

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. Susan's mother had lung cancer - so have others that I've known. I wish her, you and your family the best in this difficult circumstance. As always, we're thinking about you.

LG

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy - glad to hear that you're improving - keep it up. We're sorry to hear about your mom. I know that you will keep her encouraged. We're thinking about you and your family.

Chris

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy, Very sorry to hear about your Mom.You don't deserve that...

Things will turn around for you; you're a tough guy; stay with it....

Thanks so much for getting Sheila at the airport and having her for dinner. I appreciate it. It was a very difficult and emotional trip for her.

Wish I could help somehow ...STEVE

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Harbor compounding pharmacy said...

Hormone Replacement Therapy
Adrenal Fatigue
LOW DOSE NALTREXONE (LDN)
Low Dose Naltrexone
Low Libido & Sexual Health
Autism

 

Post a Comment

<< Home